For almost 40 years St. Luke’s School has had a Buddy Program. It is extremely unique and as a result has been adapted by many other schools.
The purpose of the program is to link the younger grades with an older grade. The older students act as mentors, role models and teachers while the younger children have someone to look up to for guidance, friendship, and advice.
The grades are linked as follows:
Preschool and Grade 8
Kindergarten and Grade 4
Grade 1 and Grade 7
Grade 2 and Grade 6
Grade 3 and Grade 5
Buddies have many opportunities to interact during the year including the following:
- Sit together during all-school Masses and church gatherings
- Participate in buddy lunches
- Participate in buddy reading sessions
- Attend presentations in each other’s classrooms
- They often have special events like Easter Egg Hunts and Christmas gift exchange
- Grade 8 takes their preschool buddies along to their signature yearlong Creek Study in Haines Park once a trimester
This important St. Luke’s program has produced enduring friendships while allowing students to become a mentor and teacher which will serve them well no matter where they go after SLS.